Brita & Fred’s Wisconsin Historical Society Wedding was on one of the hottest days of the year but it was also stunning and perfect! It was my first time photographing at the Wisconsin Historical Society and I was blown away by the beauty of the location and it was such a perfect fit for Fred & Brita to say I Do. Of course I had to ask them about their day and all that went into planning it.
Brita, what was your favorite moment/s from the day?
• I was overwhelmed by walking into our ceremony and seeing so many of our friends and family in one room. We had people travel from overseas and all over the country to celebrate us and it was spectacular to feel that love in the room.
• Dancing with Fred – for someone who doesn’t consider himself a dancer we had the best time dancing all night.
Fred, what was your favorite moment/s from the day?
I made a very deliberate attempt to mentally soak in every moment of the day, even the smallest ones. What I will never forget is making eye contact with Brita as she walked into the ceremony and just how much love I felt for her and everyone in the room.
Watching our closest friend and family, many who have never met each other, come together and celebrate as if we have been one giant community for all of our lives.
It was HOT on your wedding day… so so HOT… any advice for other couples who deal with crazy weather on their wedding days?
• Packing a mini handheld electric fan was fantastic, and all the handkerchiefs.
• Having a selfless sister who would towel me off between pictures was a lifesaver.
• I used a Coola makeup setting spray that really helped keep my makeup from sliding off my face. I kept getting compliments on how it was amazing that my makeup held and I believe that this setting spray is to thank.
• A good sense of humor, there was nothing we could do about the humidity so we just had to laugh off how much we were both sweating.
Your ceremony was so unique, could you tell me a bit more about planning all of your details?
• We spent some time looking for readings and vows that reflected our feminist beliefs and emphasized that we would be entering our marriage as equal partners. It was also important that we gave a nod to my Irish heritage through our readings. We owe a lot of credit to our officiant Chelsea, who not only encouraged us to go on a date in the first place but spoke really eloquently about our relationship and helped to personalize our ceremony with humor and love.
Any other bits you want to include?
• Andrea at Cherry Blossom really designed the perfect day for us. Through her vision and guidance, we were able to plan to have an amazing party and spend our time enjoying our day and not worrying about the details.
Event Planning and Styling: Cherry Blossom Events
Floral – Daffodil Parker
Catering – Black Sheep
Cake – Creative Confections
Beer – Barley Pop Tap & Shop
Fred Tuxedo – Indochino
Brita Dress – Miss Ruby Boutique
Matron of Honor Dress – BHLDN
Dress Alterations – Monirose Bespoke Gowns
Invitations – Minted
Rentals – Event Essentials
Rentals – A La Crate
Hair and Makeup – KisMet
DJ – DJ Loop
Hotel – AC Hotel by Marriott
When I left Brita in her stunning hotel suite to meet Fred and the guys the atmosphere couldn’t have been more different but also… so perfect. A little vintage video gaming in the basement is always a wise choice to calm pre wedding jitters.
It was such a hot day that we decided to stop back at Fred & Brita’s house to drop off their Camaro since it didn’t have any air conditioning. The images of them on their neighborhood street with their house and car are some of my favorites.
Then we were off to the Wisconsin Historical Society for the main event…
Favorite real moment from the day… Wedding Ring POWER!!
Being 10 season in as a full time wedding photographer I’ve tasted a ton of wedding food… these little shrimp and grits spoon bites win, hands down. I had like 4… EEEEK! Seriously the best!
Wedding Fact: A bartender who can make a kick a** Shirley Temple is worth their weight in gold.
My Favorite Image from the day…
Thank you so much for choosing me to document this amazing day in your life story. Many blessings to you both.